Sunday, June 1, 2008

June Gloom




I have been trying my damnedest not be the dreaded "bridezilla" but it happened. And actually, now that I give it some
thought, I think I have been one for a quite some time, on the DL of course. Furthermore, these moments of anger and
frustration, the times that I have regressed to the three year old throwing a tantrum at the Toys-R-Us have been aimed
primarily at this guy I know with dark hair and an auburn beard.

I do feel pangs of guilt as I sit and watch my "Platinum
Wedding" and "Bridezilla" marathon and realize how quickly a ritual that is supposed to be an occasion celebrating the couple's
promise to step into an unknown and perilous future together can turn into an over-the-top, gratuitous display of autolatry.
can understand why this occurs as well.
 For many of us, the opportunities we have to express ourselves creatively
are rare or hard to do. Even more unusual are the times when we receive the type of adoration and awe that is freely showered
upon celebrities, sometimes for simply buying a latte at the local Starbucks. As a result, the smaller aspects of the wedding
like the seating arrangements or the type of centerpieces, can become points of contention. Everything must be perfect,
because the wedding is like the Oscar's we will probably never attend. 
I don't want to lose sight of what is
important. With only 16 weeks to go (yikes!) it's so tempting to exceed the budget and go glitz crazy. But, then again, no one is
really going to remember what the hell the table looked like or what kind of flowers I carried down the aisle. What people are
going to talk about later is how long they think the marriage is going to last or whether or not we make a good
couple. 
I don't think I have been acting as horribly as some of the women depicted on the shows though.  I
wouldn't "fire" my bridesmaids for not going to the bachelorette party or bridal shower. I wouldn't ban my mother-in-law from
the festivities simply because she didn't like me. I WOULD snub someone I held a grudge against even if Oskar got along with
them fine-that's pretty bridezilla-ish. Bad Maryté! Bad!
Okay, you know how in the third or fourth post I said
needed to lose twenty pounds? Yeah add a couple more pounds to that. Now I'm freaking out. 

No comments: