Friday, March 7, 2008

Lady Marmalade indeed.

You have all heard by now, thanks to my panic attack, frantic phone calls and emails, that I finally bought my wedding dress.
I really hadn’t planned on buying a dress last weekend. I wanted to go to three stores before making a final decision. But I had a couple things against my favor. First, it’s already March. Dresses are usually purchased 4-6 months before the wedding. Secondly, I didn’t go the store with any pictures, which is ridiculous because I have no less than fifteen bridal magazines and tons of pictures of dresses I love on my computer. Third, the price I was offered was super-awesome.

I am not a frilly, pouf girl. The dresses I do buy are basic, classic and understated. This dress I chose is the princess dress that a girl with a Cinderella complex would wear. That’s why I was freaking out. When I tried it on I was a completely different person. I couldn’t stop smiling. The consultant was like “Wow, your face just lit up.” My mom was like “Why are you going to try another one? That’s it.”
I loved it, but at the same time, this dress was everything I was against: pouffy, princess-like, strapless for crying out loud! Organza and a train!
After I tried a couple more I was close to choosing yet another white, A-line gown. I wasn’t crazy about it but it looked good on me. The consultant said “Okay, I love this one on you, but I think you should try the second one again.”
I said no. I think in part I was tired and also, I was afraid that I was going to like it and take it knowing that I might be the subject of ridicule later on. “Are you sure?” she asked. “No come on try it on.”
I did, and that was that. I had to have it.

Moral of the story I guess: I think I need to accept the fact that I don’t have the most sophisticated taste in fashion. The wedding dress, for some, may be the most important fashion choice a they will make. I mean let’s face it, I ain’t never going to the Oscars. Plus, I also need to accept that some people won’t like my dress, and that’s okay. I love my dress and it makes me feel good. I might look like I’m going to a cotillion, but…yeah, okay there really is no silver lining there. It’s cool. I can just pull a Celine Dion, and have another ceremony in ten years time and pick another dress.

Oh well, it could have been way worse.


1 comment:

PJH said...

You know what's funny though? Those first two wedding dress photos you said could have been worse, I think are FABULOUS in that tacky way. If I ever get married, I'm wearing one of those. :)