Sunday, October 14, 2007

Must See!

I just finished watching my new favorite show. It’s called “Say Yes to the Dress” and it airs Friday nights on TLC. It’s a reality show set in Kleinfeld, the legendary New York bridal salon. The show follows the ordeals of the consultants as they try to help brides find “the one” (the right dress, not man).
The store is not just a bridal salon, it’s THE bridal salon. With thousands of samples, it’s almost impossible for a bride leave the store empty handed.
Why do I love this show? It’s like a live-action wedding magazine. The dresses, even the ones I wouldn’t wear, are beautiful. Most importantly, I appreciate how they post the price tag of the dresses that the brides tried on. It was a much-needed reality check. I found out that the gorgeous Kenneth Pool dress I had dog-eared in one my bridal magazines costs $11,000. Ha!
The brides stem from different economic and ethnic backgrounds, as do the consultants. Of course, they also have different tastes in styles. Camille S. from Canada, epitomized the idea of “bigger is better.” She was getting married at Disneyland and wanted to be a true Cinderella. Her dress, which cost more than $12,000, was a huge tulle ball gown with intricate beading and crystal accents. To complete the look, she opted to wear a crown. She said that she was the best looking bride she had ever seen.
Uh-huh.
Now, I think I’m pretty conservative when it comes to the clothes I wear. I think a wedding dress should show off a woman’s figure tastefully. However, there are some women out there who want to leave as little to the imagination as they can get away with. Jennifer G., for example, was in the market for something sexy and form fitting and that showed off her “boobies” Classy.
Well, I’m not going to go to New York anytime soon (dang it). In the meantime I am going to resolve to stay away from chocolate covered pretzels and peanut clusters. In the end, it doesn’t matter what kind of dress one wears - the most flattering style is not going to hide 20 excess pounds. To the gym!

1 comment:

Oskar said...

If you like Kenneth Pool's dresses and live-action wedding magazines, you should check out the designer's Web site.

I know that of all the people on the planet, my say ranks about 5.9 billionth, but I like the dress on the first girl wearing the hat. You know, right after the crazy hair.
And please, please, no crazy veils like crazy veil about one-third to midway through the thing. Yikes.

And what's up with the girl with the golfing gloves? What's appropriate for brides when it comes to accessories?